Tuesday, March 6, 2012

To Offend or Not Offend

Friends!  We love friends!  One of our friend couples, who will remain nameless, came over to our house for Family Night.  They offered to bring the treat and we accepted.  Who can give up good food from friends. 

They arrived with some wonderful rhubarb crisp and a half gallon of ice cream.  I eyed the ingredients of the ice cream, my hear sunk, dang, corn syrup; the bane of my existence!  My corn allergy haunts me wherever I go.  Natural corn I can eat; however, almost everything eatable contains some kind of processed corn and that is what kills me - not literally.  I get a really upset stomach and all the issues that come with it, sometimes, I wish that my allergy were deathly; then, I would be able to avoid it more thoroughly. 

Let me explain.  When my good friends who I admire and love came over to our apartment for the first time bearing lethal ice cream, what could I do except eat what I was offered.  Now many of you are thinking: okay, they are your friends and will understand your circumstance.  Yes, you are right, they would; I know that they would be okay if I told them I could not have the ice cream; yet, I have too much of South America in my blood to do it.  No, I am not Latino, even a little bit by blood, but I did serve the Latino people of Ecuador for two years.  In those two years I spent all of my time with people who would rather die than give offense.  Marinating in that mentality for two years has changed me.

Needless to say, both my wife and I want the recipe for the rhubarb crisp, a better desert I have not had.  And I, I, am suffering from an over does of corn syrup found in 98 percent of ice creams.  Tasted like a dream, punishes like a nightmare.  Such is life.

2 comments:

  1. Breyers. And Wal-Mart has a knock-off Breyers which is quite good. You probably already know this, but I'm just saying.

    Good luck with the offense stuff--I got nothing for you there, as I'm guilty of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me of my son who has a soy allergy. Only, he wishes he ate stuff that tears his stomach up out of some cultural conditioning!

    ReplyDelete