Monday, March 5, 2012

Of Length and Peace

Isaiah.  The first block I will be teaching reaches from Isaiah 24-29, a doable stretch.  The second block.  Isaiah 30-47.  Seventeen chapters of Isaiah to analyze, understand, apply, and then teach to high school age kids with a focus on relevance.  Don't get me wrong.  There is a lot there and that is part of the problem.  There is a lot there. Isaiah does not just come like some scripture.  One has to struggle, wrestle, and spend time to understand everything.  Sometimes, I just can't seem to grasp his words. 

Yesterday was one of these times.  I was focusing a little too much on getting the new TV up and running with my friend; not an activity conducive to the Sabbath Day.  After we finished, my mind still reeled with organization; was everything in the right place; and man, I could not stop thinking, that looks good. 

Then I sat down to read Isaiah.  The first paragraph left me stumped.  I did not understand what he was talking about at all.  My mind would not settle; I was still focused on the TV.  Finally I gave up and prayed.  I still could not focus. I prayed again.  Still no understanding came.  I asked my wife to pray with me.  Bingo!  I found the peace that allows the Spirit to teach and I could read, study, and understand.

Often, the world comes into your mind and keeps you from focusing on what is most important.  Satan loves it when we can't recognize up from down because that is when we are most vulnerable.  Yet, the Lord is always there and he will come to our aid as we diligently seek him.

No comments:

Post a Comment